BRIEF HISTORYElba island in history
The first residential findings date back to the Neolithic period, but it was the Etruscans who identified nell’Elba Eastern as a key center for the extraction and processing of iron, from which there is the remains of many furnaces dating back to the eighth century a.c. The Greeks, in the 5th century a.c., called it Aethalia, which means “fire”, for the huge flames raising to heaven from the ovens that baked iron.
In Roman times he continued cultivation of fields, as well as the steel business. In the Middle Ages, the Pisani worked the mines.
Spanish, French, British and Austrians fought for a long time and the Elbe domination as an outpost in the Mediterranean, creating multiple artefacts (watch towers, castles, streets) visible to this day.
The family de ‘Medici built on the island’s impressive fortifications to defend against attacks from the sea by the terrible saracen pirates.
The Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte was exiled to Elba in 1814 where he remained for 10 months, during which he brought many changes and innovations.
N-io e Napoleone
Initially the population was living in Rio Alto (current Rio nell’Elba) until the fishing village (Rio Marina) arose. The new village was formed mainly by sailors, ship owners, shipbuilders, freight forwarders, and shipwrights. The miners remained a subordinate minority, at least until the late nineteenth century.
The navy Riese, who had a period of very healthy development here before the industrial revolution.
Traders invested resources in the mining sector. Since that time the village of Rio Marina underwent a deep transformation.